Sunday, July 19, 2009

Why am I here?

Well, at the gentle persuasion of my friend Sprite, I'm giving blogging a try. It's difficult to know where to begin. So many people I know are doing it and seem to have fun, but I'm not alone in my feelings about it. My other dear friend Janet, feels the same way. I can't speak for her, but this old fossil is hard to convert! I was also terrified when I started my website a couple of years ago. Technology comes slowly to me.

I guess I'll start with a brief description of how I see myself. I am a person who creates things to make myself happy. That sounds selfish, but it seems that no matter what I do creatively, as soon as it becomes a job, it loses it's luster. As long as I'm doing what's in my heart, I'm motivated. I don't think I'm alone in this mindset. I've oven thought about accepting commission work for my sculptures, but stop short because of the fear of it "feeling like a job" and losing my creative drive. On the other hand, it makes me feel great when someone buys one of my pieces...they like what's in my head too.

I also get easily sidetracked and then have a difficult time getting focused again. I'm sure other artists go through this. I can't possibly be the only one, although it feels like it at times. This puts a real damper on doing a lot of projects. There are so many things I'd like to try, but never seem to have time. If I get two sculptures done in a year, I feel lucky. This is not the way to build a name for ones self!

Well, that's it for now. I might be back later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment